Save Green on Black Friday - Tips for You & Your Clients
Save Green on Black Friday – Tips for You & Your Clients
As bookkeepers, we know the importance of staying on top of your cash flow. Even if you follow your budget reasonably well, it can be easy to watch it fly out the window when the holidays arrive. Our gift to you this year is The Gift of Responsible Spending – or, How to Toe the Line in Your Christmas Stockings.
1. Be Prepared: Know what you want – shop early and identify exactly what you want - check the going prices for those items. You often don’t have to wait until Black Friday to take advantage of some offerings.
2. Get the store apps if you are not shopping online. Be sure to download the QR codes app so that you can compare prices right there in the store and know you are getting the best deal. Many stores will match these prices.
3. Promote your clients’ well-being by suggesting an ‘exchange in kind’, which you would put as a “barter/trade account” in your bookkeeping system. It’s a good way to try out their product or service if you’d like to become more familiar with what they do and improve your rapport with them.
4. Offer your clients a discount. For example, you could give them 5% off the first quarter’s services if they pay the quarter by January 1st. This would increase your income in the fourth quarter.
5. Recommend local small businesses in your monthly newsletter. You may learn about deals in advance, if you let the store know you’re advertising on their behalf.
6. Electronics are often the cheapest on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
7. Ask politely for any discounts that they may have (be proud if you are a senior citizen). See if the store has special offers for seniors, students, veterans or other possibilities.
8. If you don’t have what someone is looking for in their gift-hunting, be willing to refer them elsewhere. Does this sound familiar? It comes from Miracle on 34th Street. “We’ll be known as ‘The Helpful Store.’ ‘The Friendly Store.’ ‘The Store with a Heart.’”
Enjoy your shopping! To help make the most of your money over Thanksgiving weekend, you can find useful tips and information from these sites:
BlackFriday.com has all kinds of ads: https://blackfriday.com/stores
Consumer Reports Black Friday predictions for 2015: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/lcdtvs/5-predictions-for-black-friday-2015
Lynn Talbott, MBA, PHR, has over 20 years’ experience consulting with entrepreneurs of small to mid-sized businesses in the HR and office management capacity. Her specialty is Office/Human Resource Manager coaching and training and finding practical solutions for bookkeeping errors and HR blunders. Lynn has helped manage over 50 business start-ups and many of those companies continue to rely on her expertise today as they continue to grow