Are you a creative bookkeeper?
If you’re a teacher, you’re likely familiar with “the dog ate my homework” excuse. As bookkeepers, we’ve discovered adults have excuses for things, too. That’s not to say we’ve heard these from clients, but they are humorous, nonetheless!
· My Petco purchases are listed under Security Expense
· My shoes from DSW are my Marketing Statement
· My online dating subscription is considered Networking.
· My Netflix subscription is currently Entertainment Expense
· My kids’ math books are Employee Training Manuals.
· My meals out are Community Involvement
· My morning drive-thru coffee is a Business Meeting
· My manicure appointments are considered File Management
Note – these are NOT eligible to write off on your company’s books. If you are ever audited, you will have to pay penalties, back taxes, and hefty fines.
Do you have a creative bookkeeping excuse? Click below to add it under comments. Or, call us if you’d like to have an objective third party help you with categorizing everything properly.
As Victor Borge says, “A smile is the shortest distance between two people.”
Lynn Talbott, MBA, PHR, has over 20 years’ experience consulting with entrepreneurs of small to mid-sized businesses in the HR and office management capacity. Her specialty is Office/Human Resource Manager coaching and training and finding practical solutions for bookkeeping errors and HR blunders. Lynn has helped manage over 50 business start-ups and many of those companies continue to rely on her expertise today as they continue to grow.