Don't Checkmate Your Best Mate! Financial Peacekeeping When Your Marriage Partner is Your Business Partner
Summer months are popular for wedding bells, but are you wringing your hands when it comes to running a business with your spouse?
Some tips to keep the peace:
1. Set clear boundaries about switching hats. Are you wearing the “I love you forever” hat? Or the “we need an income” hat? Is it OK to discuss work during meals and on weekends? Or is there a “no-go” space on your daily calendar where work is off-limits? It also helps to write them down so both husband and wife are clear about the expectations.
2. Set aside time regularly to address points of conflict instead of being snippy over little things that aren’t actually what’s annoying you. Connecting at the end of a week will help you decompress so you can leave work at work. Go out to dinner on Friday night as a reward. Chattanooga Restaurant Week is August 1st - 7th. Find a new favorite.
3. Pick your battles and decide who is steering the ship. Decide whether it will matter in a week or a year from now.
4. Avoid the blame game and trust your partner fully with their responsibilities. Figure out the problem and look forward, not backwards, to solve the problem.
5. Remember to keep your priorities in order and reap the benefits of owning a business together.
At HRBiz, we understand that finances are a touchy subject, especially when it comes having family relationships in the mix! We want to make sure you have tools for success.
We can discuss where you’re at, where you want to be, and how to get there. You can decide whether to continue doing your own books with personalized training or to outsource your bookkeeping and HR to us with regular check-ins.
We’ll assess your current procedures, design a plan, then streamline your processes. We’ll provide structure and integrate systems as needed.
Call us today! We look forward to seeing you! 423-668-6020
Lynn Talbott, MBA, PHR, received the TSBDC’s 2015 Small Business Person of the Year Award for Chattanooga and was recognized as a 2015 Rising Star. She is the Founder and President of HR Business Solutions, LLC. Lynn was previously a Corporate Trainer and HR Manager for a Fortune 500 company in Seattle, WA. She has 20+ years’ experience advising entrepreneurs of small- to mid-sized businesses in HR and Office Management. She is a Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor and is Xero-Certified.